Bistrots de Pays® Mission Statement
The Bistrot de Pays ® label is a registered trademark of the Institut National de la Propriété Industrielle.
The Bistrot de Pays ® campaign is an operation intended to mobilize and support various establishments (taverns, cafés, pubs, and other bars) in promoting local character.
The goal of the Bistrot de Pays ® campaign is to create a local network that contributes to preserving and enlivening the local economic and social fabric of rural areas by maintaining or recreating local, multi-service, village cafés.
Thus a Bistrot de Pays ® must:
- Be located in a rural town with a population of less than 2,000 inhabitants.
- Be the last – or one of the last – village commerce(s).
- Be open year ‘round.
- Offer, to the greatest extent possible, basic services that are not available elsewhere in the village (such as bread, newspapers, and grocery items).
- Have the local area’s main tourism documents available for visitors.
- Organize festive and cultural activities.
- Promote local products.
- When complete food service is provided, offer meals or dishes in which local products are prominently featured.
- Offer at least minimal food service featuring local products, such as snacks, around the clock.
For more information on the Bistrot de Pays label: www.bistrotdepays.com